Ask Us! - Text
Send texts to 250-514-7085
Ask Us -Text allows you to ask a question via your mobile phone. Just like texting a friend, you can send a text question and a reference librarian will text you back with an answer.
Texts are monitored between 9AM and 5PM each weekday (excluding holidays), so if you text us outside of those hours or on a weekend, you'll receive an automated response advising you to try one of the other methods of asking us a question, and we'll get back to you when we resume service.
Should you always use Ask Us - Text for your research questions?
No. Texting is great for those questions which need quick, immediate answers. Questions such as:
- Where is... the bathroom, the Music & Media Library, the New York Times for 1851, the FC Call numbers?
- What is... Ulrich's Directory, a monograph, the correct spelling of 'freudenschade', the URL of the Oxford English Dictionary?
- How do I... book a study room, recall a book, use a semi-colon, print single-sided?
- Who... is the History Librarian, do I call about fines, wrote War and Peace, is the Mayor of Victoria?
- When... does the library close tonight, do exams begin, was the Canadian Pacific Railway begun, is the next United Way Record Sale?
If your question requires an in-depth response, we will ask if we can email you the answer, or direct you to the Library Help Desk for in-person support. We may also direct you to an appropriate Subject Librarian, the Loan Desk, or elsewhere in the library or on campus. We also can't check your library account, send you full-text articles, or request recalls or interlibrary loans via text.
What is the cost?
Our service is free. Standard text/sms charges from your cell phone service provider may apply.
Tell us what you think!
Send comments, compliments and complaints about this service to bebbingt (at) uvic (dot) ca.