Interlibrary Loan Policy for University Borrowers
Eligibility for Subsidized Interlibrary Loan ServicesAll internal UVic borrowers are eligible for subsidized interlibrary loan services:
- Undergraduate students (see limitations for undergraduates)
- Graduate students
- Faculty and staff
Interlibrary loan materials for undergraduates will be obtained from Canadian libraries only. Exceptions may be made if a faculty member is willing to co-sign the request.Other Categories of Library Users
External borrowers (e.g. associates including alumni, community borrowers, and students and faculty from other institutions) are not eligible for subsidized interlibrary loan services. However, these individuals may obtain interlibrary loan materials for a fee through the Continuing Studies Library Service. A current schedule of charges is available on the Libraries Website.
Interlibrary loan requests must be placed using the electronic request forms on the Libraries Website. Requests made by telephone or on paper forms are not accepted. Exceptions apply for individuals with a disability who are not able to use the electronic forms.
Materials Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Photocopies of journal/newspaper articles (see copyright information)
- Government documents and conference proceedings
- Some master's and doctoral theses
- Items officially missing from the UVic Libraries
- Different edition of a book held by the UVic Libraries
Materials Not Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Videos and films (borrowing arrangements may be possible through Media Services)
- Materials already in the UVic Libraries regardless of format
- Reference books
- Entire issues of journals (copyright restrictions)
- Materials in high use in the lending library
- Rare and fragile items
- Materials which are difficult and/or expensive to ship
- Sound recordings
Other Restrictions on Interlibrary Loans
- Requests are restricted to items required for research, UVic employment, thesis or course work.
- Requests are not accepted for general interest topics, hobbies or genealogical research.
- Eligible borrowers may not make requests on behalf of ineligible borrowers.
Under the terms of the Access Copyright Agreement and the Copyright Act, the UVic Interlibrary Loan Service cannot order more than one article at a time from the same issue of a journal, or copies that comprise more than 10% of a published work.
Loan Period for Returnables Borrowed from Other Libraries
The usual loan period is three weeks, but is dependent on the loan policy of the lending library. Renewals are not possible because of the restrictions imposed by the lending library.
Return of Interlibrary Loan Material
Returnable items borrowed via interlibrary loan can be returned to a staff member at the Interlibrary Loan Office or the Loan Desk. The identification band attached to the item must not be removed.
Items Not Picked Up
The returnable items will only be available for pickup and use for three weeks. At the end of three weeks the item is collected from the Loan Desk and returned to the supplying library. It is the paton's responsibility to pickup their items in a timely fashion and return them on the Due Date.
Late Return of Interlibrary Loan Material
If books are kept beyond the due date, borrowing privileges will be suspended until the overdue items are returned. Longer suspensions of privileges may be applied if borrowers are consistently late in returning materials. Borrowers will be charged for lost or damaged items.
For more information, contact:
Nancy Stuart, Librarian responsible for Interlibrary Loans
Page updated: September 21, 2011